Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sometimes You Just Have to Roll with the Punches

Boy it's just been one of them days.  Early this morning around 3 a.m. Eric started feeling bad.  Well last time he had a heart attack that started out with him all of a sudden being sick to his stomach.  So he decided he'd rather be safe than sorry and wanted to go to the emergency room.  I was OK with that, but you have to know the people in my life can't stand the thought of me at home alone.  Here it is now 4 a.m. and I'm trying to call Sarah, the lady who helps me.  Problem is she sleeps with ear plugs in so she didn't hear the phone.  Next option?  Call Mom.  So that's what I did.  I had Eric put the dogs in the bedroom with me, shut the door, sent him off to the emergency room and waited for Mom to arrive...she lives about an hour away from us.

Trust me when I say that no one will EVER break into my house without me knowing it.  Around 5:30 a.m. Mom put the key in the door and the dogs were off the bed and boucing around at the bedroom door waiting for her.  Shortly after that, we heard from Eric.  They have admitted him to the hospital though they say he did not have a heart attack.  They are thinking he just had some fluid build up and need to adjust his meds accordingly.  That was good news!

Sarah got here around 9:30 and Mom went home for the day only to return later tonight so Sarah can go home.  I talked to Eric around 11:00 a.m. and he needed supplies to change his insulin pump.  So much to Sarah's dismay, I once again had her put the dogs in the bedroom with me and sent her off to the hospital with Eric's supplies.  Finally, I was going to get a little sleep!  Two hours later, I was woken up with Eric calling me asking if I had talked to Sarah.  Heck no...I felt like I had just fallen asleep.  Well apparently her car broke down on the way home from the hospital.  This is one of those times that I think God must have a sense of humor.  I just felt quite amused that all the people who don't want me to be alone at home are not getting what they want.  OK I'm sorry Sarah's car broke down, but I was honestly laying here chuckling.  A few hours later and Sarah got back at the house with me and the over exuberated dogs waiting for her to open the door to the bedroom.  The car had been towed, and Sarah's partner had brought her back to me.

Like the title of the post says, sometimes you just have to roll with the punches!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Eric did not have another H.A.
    Sorry for Sarah's car
    Glad Mom could pop over
    Worried for any potential burglars who face a perilous face-licking from your guard dogs.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I didn't say the dogs would attack them...just that I would know before anyone got to me.

    They think the antibiotics that the foot doctor had put Eric on helped cause him to retain fluids. He lost 7 lbs yesterday from getting rid of fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W O W and you think i'm being over protective worrying about the stupid people in ther cars hiting you
    I know your OK on your own for an hour or two
    David Bux

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, rolling with the punches seems to be our way of life. At the same time Eric is hospitalized and I am trying to help Peggy out, Merle had sprained his back last Friday so was still walking gingerly with the help of his walker and feeling very neglected when I go to Peggy's every evening to spend the night. OH well... we will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to send him a thank you card for letting me borrow you...and maybe a gift card to Sonny's BBQ would help!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this post today! I had no idea that Eric was back in the hospital.

    How is he doing now? Give me the latest update please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric is fine. He got out of the hospital on Friday. He lost 10 lbs in two days. They believe that an antibiotic that the foot doctor had put him on as a precautionary measure caused him to retain fluids. We now have a bathroom scale and he has to weigh himself every day. If he gains more than 2 lbs in 2 days, then he has to up his water pills...especially if he is on antibiotics of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Peg. I also hadn't checked the blog in several days and didn't know about this. Glad he is now doing well.

    ReplyDelete